Welcome to another episode of How to Love Your Body - today we’re going to be talking about what self care looks like as an UnDieter.
Before we get started you can download a self care worksheet at www.thebodylovesociety.com/94
Self care- “the practice of taking an active role in protecting one's own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.”
Self care is doing anything that honors you and your body, it’s making yourself the priority - there isn’t a list of self care items that you have to choose from - it’s something that you choose for yourself
What makes you feel good? What fuels your soul? What makes you happy? What relaxes you?
What “that” is for you - THAT is self care.
So to get a little more concrete-
What might self care look like as a UnDieter in the categories of food, mind, and body?
Yes. Self care can involve food as an UnDieter - because food is awesome, and social, and pleasurable, nutrient dense and decadent!!
Self care may be -
- Coming home after a long day and ordering in pizza and having a glass of wine.
- It could also mean having pizza and some salad because the balance feels great!
- Make a green smoothie for breakfast because last night you had some amazing Mexican food and in the AM a burst of greens felt like a really good choice for your body. (Not about eating something “good” to counteract a meal - rather it’s listening to your body)
- Baking cookies and listening to your favorite music!
- Drinking some hot tea before bed
We can go on and on - the point is you can allow all food, you can listen to your body, you know when it’s asking for something that will feel good- be it a green smoothie or a cookie - it’s about how you feel in your body and how it makes you feel emotionally.
- Listen to podcasts and read books that grow your mind and enhance your life
- Sit at your favorite coffee shop with your latte with whatever milk you prefer while you chat with a girlfriend or you’re solo working on your computer - Our favorite self care ritual by the way!
- Get child care so you can have alone time
- Setting boundaries!
- Stop saying yes to crap you hate :)
- Investing in your personal growth- seminar, retreat, online program etc
- It could mean a really kick butt workout after a stressful day - to release some stuff. Or get up early to start your day off to move your energy and get that heart pumping!
- Take a nap, get to bed earlier, rest instead of exercise
- Buy yourself a new outfit that fits the body you have TODAY.
- Go on a walk outside and breathe in the fresh air
- Speaking kindly/ respectful to your body
- Setting the mood with candles / music / essential oils and taking a bath
- Spa day
We suggest that you make a list of things that you consider self care so when you feel like it’s lacking in your life - or you had a stressful day - or you just feel like giving yourself some love- you have YOUR list that you created of all the things you love and choose something!
Self care may seem like a cliche or silly thing but it’s 1000% necessary and important to incorporate into your life on the daily! You will notice the difference - even if it’s taking a few deep breaths and closing your eyes - that is self care.
Don’t forget to download your worksheet at thebodylovesociety.com/94
Be kind to yourself, you deserve it, and you’re doing the best you can!
Follow @thebodylovesociety on Instagram
If you liked this episode - help us spread the work by rating and reviewing our podcast. Xo