On today’s episode we are talking about how long it takes to become an Intuitive Eater.
We get this question a lot which makes sense because of course we want to know specific timelines. We want to know how long things are going to take and when we can expect to achieve the goal of x. In this case - the goal is Intuitive Eating.
Coming off of dieting and learning how to be an Intuitive Eater is amazing. To not feel restricted and confined to a diet plan is so freeing. That being said, coming off a diet and into Intuitive Eating can be scary because at first you may feel out of control with food, which is extremely normal.
There will be a swing of restriction of food as a dieter to possible “overload” with food as a new Intuitive Eater. This process must happen in our opinion because there is no such thing as being a strict dieter and then finding peace and harmony with food the second you choose to learn about Intuitive Eating. It’s going to feel messy and out of control at times, and that’s okay!
Going through “the swing” may get wearing sometimes. You may feel like you’ve made some really great progress with Intuitive Eating and have never felt so free but there may also be days where you feel hesitant and question yourself because food may not seem as easy at times- it may feel overwhelming and there could be thoughts of wanting to throw your hands in the air and go back on a diet.
Of course that’s not what you truly want but when you have moments/ days with Intuitive Eating that don’t feel good, you may go into “fix it” mode - trying to find a way to control the situation.
This may cause you to wonder - HOW LONG IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO TRULY BECOME AN INTUITIVE EATER!?
We get the frustration and the curiosity. As humans we want answers, and we want them NOW.
So how long does it take to become an Intuitive Eater?
Here’s the thing:
- There is no timeline with Intuitive Eating: This may not be the answer you wanted to hear but this also is the beauty in Intuitive Eating. That it is so tailored and personalized to your own experience that you don’t have to look left or right and compare yourself to someone else in their own process of figuring out Intuitive Eating. This also gives you room to just BE.
- That it’s not a “30 day program” and at the end of 30 days you are expected to be transformed and living a dream life - of course not. Intuitive Eating is realistic and doesn’t give any shiny false promises like dieting does. Which is why this is a self paced concept. We could never give you an EXACT timeline with Intuitive Eating. What we can share with you is that with time, doing this work, you will unlearn, re-learn, heal, and transform your relationship with food and your body.
So if there is no timeline in Intuitive Eating - what are some helpful thoughts, tips, and action steps to help me keep doing this work when it feels challenging and I find myself wanting to solidify a “destination” of WHEN I’ll be a true Intuitive Eater.
1. Identify yourself as an Intuitive Eater NOW. No more “when I’ll finally be an Intuitive Eater.” You ARE an Intuitive Eater. You’ve stopped dieting and you are learning this new way of being - there is not one specific definition of an Intuitive Eater. You create your own definition. So the next time you have this thought of “how long will it take for me to become an Intuitive Eater” - shift that thought to - I AM AN INTUITIVE EATER! I explore, get curious, and am learning everyday.
2. Remind yourself of the ebb and flow of Intuitive Eating. The Intuitive Eater you are today may not be the Intuitive eater you are tomorrow, next month, next year, in 10 years - or even in the next 5 minutes.
There is ALWAYS change in Intuitive Eating. You don’t just become an Intuitive Eater and stay that way for the rest of your life - it ebbs and flows with you, your life circumstances, your environment etc!
No need to overwhelm yourself and try and do everything at once - purposely take your time - you don’t need to heal everything about food and your body image today!
The UnDiet for Life Membership opens in July - this would be an ideal step to take to become a member and get access to a program and a community who gets it but also the support you need in reducing the overwhelm and still continuing to do the work.
3. Know that to be an intuitive eater you need to be in the present, so focusing on when will I get there, when will I be at my set weight etc actually takes you out of the ability to be an intuitive eater. When this question starts nagging at you, remind yourself, to this work I have to be here now and take 2 deep breaths and then go about your day. It’s all about living each day in the moment.
We hope this makes you feel a little more at ease as you move along on your journey. It does get easier over time and you will find your groove!
Be sure to grab our free Top 10 Pieces of Advice from Real UnDieters at thebodylovesociety.com/top10
And be on the lookout for our free UnDiet Kickstart Course coming July 5th 2021!
And if you liked this episode please share it with a friend! This is how we are going to change diet culture, one person at a time.
See you next week!